Sunday 29 January 2017

"A" is for "Adventures in 2017"

Firstly, a belated happy new year to you all!  Secondly, apologies.  I haven't written for a number of months and realise that I've left my blog to rot.  Being back in the UK during November and December was a depressing time, what with dark days, dreadful weather, dirty, wet, muddy, icy roads, news of our awful UK motorists running-over cyclists and friends reminding me about my own traumatic experiences, the mental torture of turbo training indoors, and not wanting to write about the adventures I'd recently had and wanting to be out riding in those places, rather than in the UK, writing about them and not being able to ride.  In my defence, I did confess to being a cyclist, and not a blogger/author or photographer!

The new year and January is definitely looking up, with the days growing longer and warmer, a number of sponsors pledging their support for various things (I'll make an announcement in February) and providing new sexy bits of kit, feeling closer to race dates including acceptance to the Transcontinental Race (2017 is the 5th edition ), new adventures (I've already spent two weeks in Croatia and am currently writing this in Tenerife) on new roads in new countries and meeting new people.

At the moment, my planned race schedule for 2017 is:

  • April 29th - "Race Across Italy" - 800km with a support crew
  • June 19th - "Hard Cro" - 1,400km around the four corners of Croatia
  • July 28th - "The Transcontinental Race" (5th Edition) - 4,000km around Europe, from Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Slovakia, Romania, to Meteora, in Greece
  • August onwards - who knows!

Leaving 2016 in the past, I promise to write a short piece, every week, on an interesting and amusing topic (hopefully you'll think so) rather than thrash-out a blow-by-blow War And Peace account, which I've read a few of (past editions of the Transcontinental Race resulted in a glut of mind-numbing accounts in this style - maybe I was also guilty of this), starting with A, and cycling through to Z.

For 2017, I wish you all good fitness, fortune and new adventures!  Be fast, stay safe :-)

I've climbed Teide, on Tenerife, five times, whose peak is 3,718m.  Many more climbs to tick-off the bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment